This National award is open annually to all Eagle Scouts in the state of Iowa who are currently registered in an active unit and have not reached their 19th birthday during the year of application. (Calendar year, 1 Jan. to 31 Dec.) The year that the BSA Eagle was awarded is not restricted. College plans do not need to be completed in order to receive the cash scholarship. Three cash scholarship awards are given at the National level: First place winner – $8000; 1st Runner-up – $4000; and 2nd Runner-up – $2000. You may apply more than one time if you continue to meet the age requirements, but no more than $8000 total may be granted to any one Eagle Scout.
Entrants must complete only one application for the Iowa competition and forward to the Iowa SAR Scholarship Chairman no later than December 1 of the scholarship year. (The application must be on the two-sided forms supplied by national) The scholarship committee of the Iowa society will review all of the Eagle Scout applications and select a winner by secret ballot before February 1 of the following year. The winners application will then be sent to the NSSAR national committee for the national competition. The Scholarship application consists of the following:
1. The two page application form.
2. The Four Generation ancestor chart.
3. The 500 word essay on a patriotic theme.
Prizes and recognitions will also be awarded by the Iowa society Sons of the American revolution as follows:
1. All entrants will receive a uniform patch and certificate by return mail.
2. The state winner will receive an engraved medal, a bronze engraved Eagle trophy, a framed certificate and a cash award at a ceremony conducted by the Iowa society in the Spring of the following year.
We are hoping to have a national winner from the great state of IOWA. It could be YOU!